Gabriola United Church

United Church of Canada Crest

Shared Ministry

Baptisms

Weddings

Memorials

Facility Rentals

Our Windows

 

 



Our Windows

How it all started...a brief history

When Mr. Stenhouse came to Gabriola Island in 1912 to visit his daughter Mrs. Robert Law, he was concerned that "there was nae proper Kirk for her tae gang tae". He donated funds to rectify this situation and with land donated by James Gray, along with community help, the early church was built and dedicated the following year in 1913.

About Our Windows in the Sanctuary

The windows project began in 1988, featuring a central theme of local trees to complement the images and teachings from the Bible.

The first window was installed on August 28, 1988 to commemorate the 75th Anniversary of the United Church and depicts our native arbutus tree.

Arbutus

The Gray Family Memorial window, dedicated on December 18, 1988 features the dogwood tree and sheep. The Grays have a sheep ranch here on Gabriola.

Dogwood

The third window to be installed is entitled Let There Be Peace. This Easter scene features a tree with a modern crucifixion scene imbedded in the trunk. The Sweet family in 1989 sponsored this window.

Crucifixion

On October 8, 1989, the Outreach window was dedicated and depicts a fruit tree with fruit harvested to share. At the same time, the congregation raised an equal amount of money for the Crosby Mission Boat Fund.

Harvest

The fifth window featuring an angel and Moses' burning bush was installed in November, 1992 in memory of Jack Steele who always sat below that window. He was a strength to the congregation.

Burning Bush

Artist Dar Mace was given free rein to say something close to her heart in this final window in the sanctuary and she created The Stewardship of the Forest in 1994. It features our Douglas Firs and the elements of air, water, earth and fire. In 2010, a plaque was placed beside the window stating In Recognition of Roy and Gwen Hales for their years of service.

The Stewardship of the Forest

About Our Windows in the Hall

The church hall was renovated and in 2008 new windows were installed, each with a pane of stained glass, again designed by Dar Mace. Two of the windows boast the United Church emblem and were dedicated by Mollie Ford in loving memory of her husband Frank; dedicated by Judy Kubey; dedicated by the families of Art and Dorothea Renney and in loving memory of Frank Burgess.

Church Crest

The centre hall window, boasting a beautiful red bird with its wings extended in a wide embrace, was dedicated in memory of Kathy Mary Fawdrey by her loving family that included our dear Sharon Wishart, the church pianist at that time.

Phoenix


About the Artist Dar Mace

We have been most fortunate to have local glass artist Dar Mace design and install all of the stained glass windows at Gabriola United Church.


Window photos by Don Butt


 
Website Coordinator: Cathy Tanner; Banner Photography: Don Butt
Website Design: Matsud-onym Strategic Writing
United Church of Canada